Friday, December 19, 2008

lesson #8 life long learning

In the higher/continuing education section, I like both Wikiversity and Connexions . Wikiversity I like for the same reasons I already like Wikipedia, and I have always enjoyed reading over interesting trivia. I took a look at the site yesterday, and the educational picture of the day was about most popular sports. (That reminds me, though, that I forgot to look up in which small country archery is most popular.) Today, the featured diagram is on DNA replication. I'll probably visit Wikiversity occassionally just for the educational picture of the day; it's a nice bit of edification that doesn't take too long to digest.

Although I haven't done a lot of digging on Connexions, I'm hoping that there might be useful lessons posted there for TESOL. So far, I've tried researching TESOL, but the results have predominantly been research/news articles. Even if Connexions doesn't have a lot of useful resources to me at the moment, perhaps it will in the future. I might search through it again sometime.

I did not find the WorldWideLearn site (eCollege Guide) especially informative. The colleges to which the site guides you (especially the featured schools) seem to me a very limited collection. My advice to someone looking for an insitutional education would be to search for a good institution (by searching by program) first, and then to search through the individual course tracks to find out what their online course options are.

In the professional development section, I found the the Positivity Blog downright hokey (along the quality of, say, MSN.com) and businessballs.com to be in dire need of better web design. I would prefer to read about any topic (including multiple intelligences) on a more aesthetically pleasing site. Life Hacker, on the other hand, is of clean design with articles neatly featured and listed; the information is about as pertinent as, for example, the stuff on Digg, but there 's less extraneous goofy material. I probably won't visit Life Hacker that much, but I think it's a decent site.

In the personal development section, the two sites that pique my interest are Instructables and eXtropia. I can appreciate a good recycling/craft site, and the addition of photos to accompany the steps makes it a viable teaching site for, say, TESOL. eXtropia is wonderfully clean in format, and I will seriously consider studying their tutorials.

More than any of these sites, though, I'd have to say that the online places that help me develop the most personally and professionally are university sites, casual social networking sites, various silly/fringe sites, and news hubs. And I more than occassionally look up reviews to games and movies.

Only three pizza place options? The only food I really like from any of those places are Pizza Hut's breadsticks. I'll only give the delivery thing a try if we have a pizza party and I don't have to pay. =P

Until next time,

-M

No comments: