Tuesday, July 28, 2009

social networking 2.5

I've had a FB account since sometime in the middle of my undergrad career. I was reluctant at first, and I still don't use it a lot now, but I've joined for a primary reason: I am a bad correspondent. I don't write letters on a regular basis, and I don't call my cross-country or international friends very much, if at all. Having a FB account allows me to keep in contact with them without the pressure of always having something important to say. (For this reason, idle IMing is also nice.) And, yes, I do have a lot of library coworkers friended. ^_^ However, I would not consider connecting to the library with my FB account, since I see FB as a site for personal, not public, interactions. On the other hand, there's no reason not to have an OCLS FB page in case we have fans who'd lik e to be connected that way.

Twitter is for the most part silly. Sure, random posts, out of sheer statistical logistics, are amusing some of the time, but to use Twitter seems to me like taking care of a Tamagochi, except it's mostly for vanity purposes and 5-second attention spans. It's good, say, for stalking a celebrity or spending your time talking about what you're not doing (instead of actually doing something with undivided attention). Again, the library can set up -indeed, has set up- Twitter streams for those who want to be updated on OCLS happenings. I imagine that some people, for example, want to be informed immediately about new releases. I, however, prefer to stay away from Twitter.

No comments: