Friday, October 31, 2008

learn 2.1 new blog

When I was 12, my friends and I joined Blogger. Since then, we have all left Blogger for other blogging sites, online journals, etc., and I have been surfing the 'net since even before that age. I have seen online fads come and go, and it is my personal belief that it is far more important to know where to find information on the Internet and how to judge its validity than to know every site and current fad. (Nevertheless, I'm still usually up-to-date on the recent developments due to exposure during my free time.) Additionally, judging the value of a site's information is the Internet 101, and I don't think college would have gone well for me if I didn't have a good sense of judging Internet resources already.

In short, if I'm being perfectly honest, I don't expect to get much out of this experience (and no mp3 player, unfortunately --so sad!). Still, I guess I can't say no to an opportunity to surf the 'net at work. Here goes!

Respectfully,

Moshi

2 comments:

OCLS Learn 2.0 said...

Hi Moshi,

Welcome to the course. Please tell me you are 13 and went to college at a very young aga ala Doogie Howzer!

I think you may be surprised by what you learn with this course. The first course focused on technology, which you seem to current with. This course focuses less on the technology and more on using the technology and how it impacts everyone. So the technology isn't the prime focus here. I look forward to your feedback, so please let me know what you think!

Tom

moshi said...

Hi Tom,

Thanks, Tom, but it doesn’t take a genius to use the Internet effectively. The point I was making by saying what age I started using blogs is that I have lots of experience with technology and, yes, with the use of technology. A decade of using the Internet and technology communicating half-way across the world with things like IM, email, and Skype teaches much more effectively than rote instruction.
Technology and the use of technology are useless without the other, so I tend to define them as a practical unit. I would argue that I would benefit more from technical training or exploration in coding or computer building, rather than spending time looking at sites and articles that can be found with simple browsing and are not created by our library team. I would also love it if our exploration resulted in some sort of monetary compensation for the library, since there seems to be a lot of product placement and we are reviewing many sites and services.

-M